Program Information and Weekly Blogs SIGN UP TODAY
In addition to providing individual and group holistic health counselling services, Laurie also provides workplace wellness programs. Laurie works with employers who are interested in supporting their staff’s health and wellness. Her holistic counselling services result in healthier staff, better team productivity, and fewer illness-related business costs. These workshops can be at any time length that works for your staff event. 2 hours? Half a day? Maybe a full day is what you need to really provide all the learning time and practice activities.
Laurie’s holistic health counselling programs give employees the chance to make a positive change to their health in the workplace, which boosts workplace morale and helps to create a healthier work environment for all. Laurie believes that optimum health begins and ends with food and improved mental health management.
Listed below are some ideas about possible staff workshops and retreats. Please know that you can mix and match the topics. That way you can ensure that your workshop will be the best fit for your staff's learning needs. Also, we can customize a learning event that is specific to your team. Do you have an idea that you want to explore?
1. Workshops & Retreats
Are you looking for a health professional that will inspire your staff and share innovative ways of learning self-care topics? In Laurie’s workshops and corporate retreats, your staff will gain health and wellness knowledge that will improve all areas of their lives.
Laurie offers either half or full day workshops/retreats on:
Holistic Self-Care & Breaking the Stress Cycle For the Helping Profession
Many of us have high-stress jobs and lives. Are you working in the helping profession? Are you a social worker, mental health counsellor, teacher or do you work in the health or justice system? Most people who have worked in these types of professions are well aware of how vital self-care is, but we often don't take the time necessary to develop and then participate in our self-care plans. This workshop is a great professional development day.
During this workshop, you will learn about:
- What is Stress? The good and the bad. The obvious and hidden.
- The human stress response. Fight, flight & freeze.
- Our Human Arousal States and how this impacts our self-care.
- How to know when you are caught in a stress cycle.
- The energy vs. tension equation and its role in self-care.
- The role of holistic nutrition in your self-care plan.
- Sleep - its role in mental health, mood management and self- care.
- Mindfulness & Self Compassion - tools to increase self- care and calmness.
- Exercise - The role of movement in our stress management and self-care.
- Nature Therapy – Are you getting enough vitamin N?
- How to develop a personalized self –care toolkit.
Nutrition and Mental Health Connection
As a mental health or teaching professional, have you ever wondered if the foods on our plates are impacting our mental health, the presentation of concerning behaviours and mental illness symptoms? Have you ever wondered if nutrition can impact the stress levels of our children, their anxiety, and their ability to stay on task?
Well, the answer is yes it does! Nutrition and its impact on our mental health have been studied, and as a result, new disciplines have been developed. Nutritional Neuroscience and Nutritional Psychiatry are emerging disciplines shedding light on the fact that nutritional factors are intertwined with human cognition, behaviour, and emotions. The research suggests that when people make nutrition adjustments, they live better with high stress, depression, mood regulation, anxiety and attention struggles.
The nutrition and mental health connections are real. During this workshop you will learn about:
- How we make feel-good brain chemicals from the foods that we eat.
- Foods & combinations of foods that are mood stabilizers.
- How vitamin, mineral and essential fatty acids deficiencies impact brain health and mental health symptoms.
- Foods & combinations of foods to avoid because they make us anxious & deregulate our moods.
- Sugar: Why the human brain loves it. How too much sugar impacts our mental health and mood regulation.
- Meal and snack schedules that can help keep you, your family members, students, clients & program participants feeling happy and healthy.
- The important roles protein, fats, and healthy carbohydrates play in our mental health management.
- Takeaway tips to help you make a better food and mood connection.
- Takeaway tips to better support your self-care.
2. Holistic Nutrition Consultation for Residential Centers
After spending many years working in residential settings (group homes, homeless shelters, and residential treatment programs), I understand the struggle involved with feeding 3 meals and snacks each day to the consumers and participants of your programs. The desire to provide great food while meeting your food budgets is a real concern.
It has been my experience that when nutrition adjustments are made, anxiety levels decrease and people have better therapeutic outcomes. If the foods served in your facility are increasing the anxiety of your residents, this could be playing a role in mental health and addictions relapses.
This service is for both publically and privately funded residential facilities. If you are interested in using nutrition as part of your treatment and recovery programs, then I have the knowledge and experience to help you move your programs to a truly holistic approach.
- Holistic Nutrition Training for your kitchen and life skills staff
- Consultation related to meal planning and menu development
3. Lunch & Learns
Are you looking for a creative and casual way to increase your staff’s interest in improved health and wellness? 1 Hour - Employee Lunch & Learns are a delicious and efficient way to promote positive health choices.
- Healthy Eating for the Busy Employee
- The Food & Mood Connection
- How Much Sugar is Too Much Sugar?
- Emotional Eating: Your Heart and Your Health
- Exercise Motivation
- Ending Mindless Eating
- Nutrition Basics for the Busy Family
4. 4 Part Holistic Nutrition & Yoga Workshop Series
5. On-Site 1-on-1 Employee Holistic Health Counselling Sessions
How amazing would it be if Health Counselling Services came to your office? Are you an employer who sees the advantage of your staff having this service as a wellness benefit? All the employer needs to provide is the office space for our meetings and the staff promotion to have at least 4 to 5 people booked for the day.
Laurie’s 1-on-1 workplace health and wellness counselling is designed to help staff work toward being healthier, happier, and more productive. With Laurie’s support and guidance, employees develop and implement health plans specifically tailored to their wellness goals and needs.
Laurie provides 30-minute or 1 hour, 1-on-1 counselling sessions on:
- Stress management
- Nutrition improvements
- Emotional eating
- Exercise motivation
- Smoking cessation
- Chronic illness management and prevention
- Supporting Individual Self-Care Plans